The Civil Engineering Discipline expects its alumni, who, after being exposed in the industry or academia for at least 4 years:
- To apply the latest knowledge and technologies in planning, design, analysis, and maintenance of built environment of civil engineering nature in a sustainable manner.
- To assume technical, managerial and ethical roles effectively in the organizations they work in.
- To develop themselves professionally and kept themselves abreast of the nation’s needs and development, so as to provide required services to the engineering communities and the nation.
- To have theability and sufficient experience to undertake challenges to solve complex engineering problems through independent and lifelong learning process.
Students of civil engineering will be guided to learn and develop other skills such as:
- Business skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Managerial skills
The Civil Engineering Discipline has adopted a set of 12 programme outcomes, which, upon successful completion of the programme, graduates will be able to:
- Apply acquired fundamental knowledge of science and engineering to solve complex engineering problems with emphasis on field of civil engineering
- Investigate into complex engineering problems using research based knowledge and methods to provide sound conclusions
- Identify, formulate, conduct research to analyse complex engineering problems using principles of mathematics, science and engineering
- Design to solve complex engineering problems and systems, to satisfy requirements for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations
- Understand the impact of professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental conditions and demonstrate the knowledge for sustainable development
- Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of engineering practice
- Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with engineering community and with general public, to comprehend and produce effective reports and design documentation
- Able to function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse groups of professionals and in multi-disciplinary environments
- Apply contextual knowledge and take responsibility to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues, societal, in professional engineering practice
- Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadest context of the technological change
- Apply correct techniques, resources and updated engineering and IT tools, to solve complex engineering problems, with knowledge of limitations
- Apply knowledge of engineering and management principles to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team to manage multi-disciplinary projects
- Programme follows the guidelines set by the Engineering Accreditation Council (EAC)
- Course incorporates the needs of industries
- Industrial lectures by leaders of the engineering industry
- Soft skills and internships to provide students with transferable skills and working experience
Consulting Engineer, Design Engineer, Research or Development Engineer, Project Manager, Risk Analyst, Contractor, Developer, Civil Engineering Product Specialist, Government Civil Service, University Lecturer & Professor